On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 2:48 pm, the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, along with mutual aid companies, was dispatched for a Dwelling Fire in the 200 block of Rolling Road, in the College Heights neighborhood of Chestertown. First arriving units reported smoke showing from the structure.
An 1-3/4" hose line was immediately placed in service and the crew entered the dwelling. The fire was discovered in the kitchen area of the home. The fire was quickly extinguished and smoke removal accomplished. It was determined the fire was the result of Unattended Cooking. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, with smoke and water damage affecting the rest of the structure.
Unfortunately, as a result of the fire, the family dog perished, most likely because of smoke inhalation. Once removed from the house, efforts were made to revive the dog, which proved unsuccessful. The members of the Chestertown VFC express our condolences to the family on the loss of a treasured family member. We wish there was more we could have done.
There were no injuries to emergency personnel. Crews operated at this incident for approximately two (2) hours.
Organizations operating at this incident:
Church Hill VFC
Kent Queen Annes Rescue Squad
Kent County EMS
Chestertown Police Department
Equipment from Rock Hall and Betterton were transferred to cover the Chestertown VFC fire station, in case of another emergency in our community. We thank these companies for providing this coverage.
Members of the Chestertown VFC and Kent & Queen Annes Rescue Squad