On Saturday, February 19, 2022, at 7:31 pm, the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, along with multiple mutual aid companies was dispatched for the Structure Fire in the 800 block of Washington Avenue (Maryland 213). This is across from Washington Square Shopping Center. The caller was reporting visible fire on the left side of the house, as viewed from the road.
First arriving found a small fire involving straw, recently applied to a landscaping project, and a small pile of debris inside the porch, on a concrete floor. The fire was easily contained prior to the arrival of fire suppression equipment. The fire had slightly damaged a porch pillar, with additional damage to the vinyl ceiling, caused by heat. There was no extension (fire spread) into the structure itself.
Our first unit, Engine 68, stopped at the hydrant located near the Intersection of Washington Avenue and North Manor Avenue – Foxley Manor, and dropped a 5” supply line to the front of the structure. This supply hose was not needed but was dropped in the street as a precaution. An 1-3/4” hose line was deployed to the left side of the house and used to thoroughly soak the area of fire origin. A TIC (Thermal Imaging Camera) was used to verify the fire was completely extinguished. It was determined the fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.
Companies operated at this fire for approximately 30 minutes. There were no injuries.